Quality Management Systems for Aviation, Space and Defence
What is AS 9100?
The AS 9100:2016 series of standards is based on international Quality Management System (QMS) standard ISO 9001:2015. The AS 9100:2016 series incorporates additions and interpretations specific to the aviation, space and defence industries. Emphasis is placed on areas deemed to have the greatest impact on safety, reliability and regulatory compliance for aerospace products. The standards include:
- 9100 for design and manufacture
- 9110 for maintenance, repair and overhaul
- 9120 for stock holding
As well as changes required by ISO 9001:2015, the revision to AS 9100 aims to make the standard easier to use and to provide clarity to further address the needs of interested parties across the industry. The key changes to the aviation, space and defence requirements include:
- Product safety
- Counterfeit parts protection
- Awareness of individual contribution to quality
- Human factors
- Configuration management
How will AS 9100:2016 certification benefit my organisation?
- Licence to operate – Certification to the AS 9100:2016 series of standards provides evidence that your products and services meet the demanding expectations and standards of the aviation, space and defence sector.
- Easy integration – it shares common elements with ISO 9001, so it’s easy to integrate with the standards you are currently using
- Best practice – recognised globally, AS 9100 gives you access to best practices from across the aerospace industry
- Competitive edge – As well as increased efficiency and effectiveness, the AS 9100:2016 series enables you to supply to the major aerospace manufacturers and provides eligibility for inclusion on OASIS – the Online Aerospace Supplier Information System database.
Why choose LRQA for AS 9100 certification and training?
- Experience – LRQA has been at the forefront of standards development and a market leader in certification and training for more than 25 years.
- Proven track record – We have high-profile clients in the aerospace and related sectors
- Technical expertise – Our assessors are aerospace engineers, ex-service personnel and industry specialists who are matched with your business needs, enabling an effective and robust audit of your QMS.
Start planning now!
The aerospace industry does not have long to take action, as the transition timescale for the AS 9100:2016 series set by the IAQG is aligned with the ISO 9001:2015 transition deadline.
This means that from 15 June 2017, not only must all new certificates be to the AS 9100:2016 series, but also all visits to existing AS 9100 clients must be against the new requirements.
For further information on the next steps to take, contact your local LRQA office or email firstname.lastname@example.org